Thursday, November 12, 2009
Friday, November 6, 2009
All of today's curiosities were affirmatively answered.
- Can I wake up at 7am if I want to? Y.
- Does strawberry, pineapple, mango, cherry and blueberry fruit salad satisfy a chocolate craving? Y.
- Is Dustin Hoffman originally Jewish? Y.
- Does the Book Kitchen make good breakfast? Y.
- Is $12 shampoo worth it? Y.
Saturday, October 31, 2009
Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Saturday, October 24, 2009
- The jasmine bushes that line the path to Jared's house
- The dusky peach roses on Victoria's dining table
- The dying speckled tangeringe amaryllis flowers in round pots on the kitchen bench
- The jacaranda flowers that fall over cars overnight and leave a mauve spray on the road
- The white chrysanthemums on my bedside table that have lived for forever and a day
Dedicated to artists that forget that there will always be beauty in that which is beautiful.
pic: Nicollette Camille
Thursday, October 15, 2009
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
Thursday, October 8, 2009
I've just moved into a snobby part of town. Things are kind of hilariously nonsensical here. Like the price of milk.
For this reason, i love the local supermarket. It's a wonderland of hilariously nonsensical but insanely exciting food. Im trying out this fancy shmancy new muesli. It claims to contain "gourmet nuts".
What is a "gourmet nut"? Which nuts are "gourmet"? What does "gourmet" actually even mean? Does it just mean "fancy shmancy"?
If yes, then peanuts would lose cos you get them as snacks on no-frills airplanes, and Brazil nuts would win cos they cost like $49.95 a kilo and are huge so you get like 3 for 20 bucks, which is ridiculous. See Figure 1. for a completely subjective spectrum of gourmet nuts, as per me.
I looked up the definition of "gourmet" to correct my own, clearly biased, definition. It turns out that gourmet is, in fact, a noun meaning "a connoisseur of good food; a person with a discerning palate." As an adjective, it means "of a kind or standard suitable for a gourmet." Which means nothing to me. Especially cos im pretty sure it is bad literary form to use the word you are defining in the definition.
I think i can safely conclude that "gourmet nuts" is a hilariously nonsensical notion.
Figure 1. (In ascending order:)
- The Peanut
- The Cashew
- The Walnut
- The Almond
- The Pistachio
- The Chestnut
- The Pecan
- The Macadamia
- The Brazil
pic: (gourmet) bacon & egg english muffin (in trendy plaid), from simplybreakfast
Sunday, October 4, 2009
Note to self: start small.
Incidentally, this week, things happened in threes:
- Moved in to 3 different houses
- Weathered 2 x 3 days of no internet
- Watched Hook over 3 nights
- Cooked dinner at home thrice: pumpkin & lentil soup; beetroot, walnut, fetta salad; spaghetti bolognese
- Drove a 3rd car in 3 weeks
- Made friends with a dog called Latte and a cat that thinks its a dog called Minnie and rekindled a friendship with a dog called Doofy
Saturday, August 8, 2009
Typical copenhagen scene: flowers + bike + bread
View from the apartment stairwell
Jared and Kitchen holding hands for my amusement
Kitchen gave me tours of the city while Jared went to school. I cant remember what these buildings were though. But they were pretty.
Kitchen's shopping involved many a skate store
I love this. No idea what it was though.
When i got back from my last visit to Bahji (see previous post), we went to Yas's where she had a goodbye for me on her (late. She's gone now too) amazing balcony. The girls and Chucas made a whole bunch of yummy breakfast foods cos they know how much i am obsessed with it.
Jonathan aka "yo-nah-tahn"
Sophie and Jonathan
Mona, Shirin (stay classy Shazza)
The view of Haifa
And again. The sun had set by this point, so it was flash from hereafter
Nas and Haley
Sholeh and Safa sandwich
Omid was visiting Safa from Jordan/the States
My very last visit to the Shrine of Baha'u'llah before i left Israel was simply incredible. Nasim had the day off so she came with me. It was insanely hot. But everything was absolutely gorgeous against the bright blue sky. I just got these developed and i cant stop looking at them. They make my chest hurt. I already miss Bahji. More than anything.