- Ridiculously nice people with genuine vocal intonations. In stores, on the street, in restaurants. They say things like, "Oh sure, no problem! Any time!", and "You have a wonderful day now!"
- A Persian food chain called "Moby Dick".
- Free museums.
- Incredible exhibitions that evade international travel, like the Terra Cotta Warriors of the Qin Dynasty, China, at the National Geographic Museum, which we saw today.
- The built-up snow that has created freak conditions all over the city and beyond. It is the equivalent of what i imagine the aftermath of a semi-serious natural disaster to look like/be like. There are blocked roads, dangerous traffic conditions, no parking, slippery sidewalks, snow barriers at pedestrian crossings, and many other ridiculously inconvenient driving and pedestrian circumstances.
- Incredible exhibitions that evade international travel, and are FREE! Which was great. But it had a crazy-specific requirement of being among the first 100 people to line up outside in the cold at exactly 5:30pm today. Albeit it made for pleasant chatter about topics like Great White Sharks and locust storms and the awesomeness of a National Geographic Museum birthday party and marching on the spot at the Inauguration ceremony to keep warm.
- The cold.